Category: Latest News
New Team Members
It’s a very exciting month here at Dolphin… Not only have we opened up our new Hamble loft and introduced you to our newest Hamble based team member, Oli, but we have also got three new members of staff joining us at our Essex lofts!
We are pleased to welcome…
Jenny, who will be based at the Harwich office, working in the admin department alongside Barry ?♀️
Ben, the new sailmaker at our Mersea loft. You may remember Ben from a few years ago too — welcome back?
And Ahmed who is joining our Structural Engineer team!
We are all very happy to have you join the Dolphin team and look forward to working with you!
RBODs at Burnham Week
Throwback to the last week of August and the end of a fantastic Burnham Week! We are pleased to see nearly the whole fleet has Dolphin sails and from what we’ve heard there was some great and close racing. Congratulations to all the winners and well done to everyone that took part – don’t forget to give us a call to talk about new sails for next year!
See the full report from Will Dallimore below:
Burnham Week 2019 will be remembered fondly for many reasons not least for the exceptionally good weather, the close racing, good courses and the healthy number of youngsters enjoying the unique formula that makes the RBOD fleet so special. There was way too much action to give a detailed report of each race but here are some highlights:-
The RBOD racing was very close with the lead changing many times giving everyone a chance on the podium.I was delighted to see so many young people joining the fleet adding new vitality and competition to the class. I overheard the Dallimore girls saying “ let’s keep MANDARIN and Dad can get another one “. It has to be said they sailed brilliantly and on several occasions, after doing all the hard work, they should have won but sometimes in racing there are cruel twists of fate near the end. Better luck next time girls !
This is already gathering enthusiasm and I’ve heard from more than a few they intend to return for our 90th as well as from people like Charlie Pitcher who says his sons James and Freddie want to do it with him !
The RBOD class continues to attract a great group of Club members and friends and is definitely the best and most fun class on the river !
Steve ( Class Captain)
New Dolphin Loft Opens in Hamble
We know we’ve kept you waiting a while and as you may have seen on our social media last week we introduced our newest Hamble based team member… Well, we are now happy to announce that we opened our BRAND NEW Hamble loft on the 1st October 2019! Based in Hamble Point Marina the new Hamble loft will be doing on site servicing and repairs, as well as quoting for new sails, covers and tensile awnings. If you have an enquiry, pop by and say hello — the new signage will be going up shortly and we can’t wait to welcome you to our newest Dolphin premises!!
We were delighted to hear that Kismet won her first day of racing at the Régates Royales de Cannes! Good to see the brand new Dolphin Sails Whoompa was put to good use and it clearly delivered results as they won on corrected time.
Photos thanks to Eric Dervaux and Regates Royales de Cannes.
We LOVE getting feedback from our customers! Not only does it help us develop our products, but when the customer is pleased, just like the one below, it gives the Dolphin team a great feeling!
“We have given the new Yankee a real workout now. A bit more than 6,000nm offshore with four gales, two in the southern Atlantic with more than 50kts apparent on the wind gauge downwind. The Yankee was up and pulling for the entire passage even serving admirably as a storm jib when it flattened nicely at 30% or so. My kudos to you and your team for your recommendations for design parameters and fabric. It still holds its shape perfectly.”
Sail Test on Kismet
Three members of our sails team, Matthew, Gareth and Glen, went out on the water this week to test the new ‘Whompa’ sail that we have recently designed and produced for the Fife 48′, Kismet. Owned by ex Oyster Yachts owner, Richard Matthews, Kismet is a familiar sight on the east coast waters during the regatta season. This year she will also be heading out to Cannes for the 2019 Panerai Regatta Royale at the end of September. As a previous competitor in the Panerai Classics, Mr Matthews was keen to maximise the performance of the sails on Kismet, so worked closely with our design team to create the most effective solution and sail. We will also be making a soft topsail for her, having taken measurements and sizing whilst out sailing on Wednesday, so stay tuned for more photos to come!
We wish team Kismet the best of luck in Cannes and look forward to hearing all about it on their return…
Office and Administrative Assistant
Dolphin are one of the foremost sail, cover and awning suppliers in the UK.
With offices in Harwich, West Mersea, Southampton and Palma Majorca, we serve a wide sailing community both locally and internationally. We have an established customer base which includes many of the industries blue ribbon brands for custom and semi-custom yacht builders. We are proud to be able report that we export around half of our output.
- We seek an assistant administrator, to help deal with our clients both nationally and internationally
- Dealing with customer enquiries in an efficient and timely manner both face to face, via the telephone and through email. We require the successful candidate to have good skills numerically and the potential exists to be involved in the accounting side of the business in the future
- Creating orders, invoices and collecting payments
- Logging and tracking orders via Filemaker and excel. Use of Microsoft word is also essential
- Packing and despatching orders and liaising with the production team
- A primary initial point of contact for sales calls via telephone and visits in person to the office
- Booking flights + accommodation for work trips away
- As part of the Office Administration team you will play a leading role in co-ordinating the logistics of moving items between the various Dolphin offices and be responsible for recording the booking in and out of the customers sails or covers
Candidates will have:
We’re looking for a friendly and helpful individual who has strong time management and organisational skills with the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines. With a keen eye for detail and accurate data entry skills, you will have experience within a customer service role and have the ability to manage customer enquiries.
We’d like you to have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work as part of a team to ensure the successful delivery of a sale. You should have strong administration skills, be able to use your own initiative and have experience of data processing.
- Use of computer programmes such as Excel and Word are essential
- Marine and boat based experience desirable
A good remuneration for the right candidate based on skills and experience.
See www.dolphinsails.com/job-vacancy for details on how to apply.
CAD and Sales Structural Engineer
Dolphin is seeking a CAD and Sales Structural Engineer to join the team in our Harwich office, as we forge the future of the manufacture and construction of tensile membrane structures. We are dedicated to partnering with our clients, making their design concepts a reality and continuing to advance fabric architecture. We operate in both marine and land-based environments and have clients that include the largest sailing yacht in the world.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, this position will be responsible for the designing of tensile membrane structures, steel structures and for preparing detailed and accurate drawings for use in fabric workshop, steel fabrication and site installation. The role will collaborate closely with the production managers to convert design drawings into shop drawings incorporating specific requirements.
The position will encompass a sales responsibility: selling our tensile products into the land-based arena. As well as the below:
- Prepare detailed steel fabrication, assembly and component drawings
- Perform dimensional checks on all drawings, and in collaboration with the project engineer and production management, evaluate constructability, issues of tolerance and any other issues which may affect fabrication or installation
- Prepare bill of material (BOM) for material procurement in cooperation with production management
- Perform all project work in accordance with project deadlines
- Make recommendations on how to improve or reduce costs of components utilised in the project
- Assist the project engineer and production management in identifying those repeat technical items or solutions which could be performed more efficiently
To achieve success, candidates should demonstrate the following core competencies:
- attention to detail
- efficient organisational skills
- interpersonal skills
- written and verbal communication
Candidates will have:
- Experience with various types of software, including tensile membrane softwares such as NDN – Solidworks and AutoCAD preferred
- Rhino experience and knowledge will be useful
- 10 years’ experience with architectural/structural steel design, with an understanding of structural theory and connection types
- Rendering capabilities are a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Knowledge of national and local codes as they relate to connection design, detailing practices, steel member dimensions/properties and the ability to incorporate these into product designs
Estimated to be between £30-35k, dependent on experience and skill base.
See www.dolphinsails.com/job-vacancy for details on how to apply.
It’s always nice getting positive feedback from our customers. This one was recently posted on the Oyster Yachts Owner’s Page:
“I wanted to share a positive experience with you all. We decided to replace our bimini and sprayhood and to change the color from Blue to Beige. We keep Tango in the Northeast US.
I contacted Dolphin Sails to see if they still had the templates from the original order and they did. They also recommended using the WeatherMax material.
I was a bit concerned about them making it all and getting it shipped to the US. What would we do if it didn’t fit right? We received the two items about a week ago and put them on…
Perfect fit on both accounts and the material and color was just what we wanted. I would recommend Dolphin to do any canvass work in the future.”