CAD and Sales Structural Engineer
Dolphin is seeking a CAD and Sales Structural Engineer to join the team in our Harwich office, as we forge the future of the manufacture and construction of tensile membrane structures. We are dedicated to partnering with our clients, making their design concepts a reality and continuing to advance fabric architecture. We operate in both marine and land-based environments and have clients that include the largest sailing yacht in the world.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, this position will be responsible for the designing of tensile membrane structures, steel structures and for preparing detailed and accurate drawings for use in fabric workshop, steel fabrication and site installation. The role will collaborate closely with the production managers to convert design drawings into shop drawings incorporating specific requirements.
The position will encompass a sales responsibility: selling our tensile products into the land-based arena. As well as the below:
- Prepare detailed steel fabrication, assembly and component drawings
- Perform dimensional checks on all drawings, and in collaboration with the project engineer and production management, evaluate constructability, issues of tolerance and any other issues which may affect fabrication or installation
- Prepare bill of material (BOM) for material procurement in cooperation with production management
- Perform all project work in accordance with project deadlines
- Make recommendations on how to improve or reduce costs of components utilised in the project
- Assist the project engineer and production management in identifying those repeat technical items or solutions which could be performed more efficiently
To achieve success, candidates should demonstrate the following core competencies:
- attention to detail
- efficient organisational skills
- interpersonal skills
- written and verbal communication
Candidates will have:
- Experience with various types of software, including tensile membrane softwares such as NDN – Solidworks and AutoCAD preferred
- Rhino experience and knowledge will be useful
- 10 years’ experience with architectural/structural steel design, with an understanding of structural theory and connection types
- Rendering capabilities are a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Knowledge of national and local codes as they relate to connection design, detailing practices, steel member dimensions/properties and the ability to incorporate these into product designs
Estimated to be between £30-35k, dependent on experience and skill base.
See www.dolphinsails.com/job-vacancy for details on how to apply.